- Berenstain, Jan. The Berenstain Bears' Really Big Pet Show. 2008.
There's going to be a pet show at the Bear Town Festival this year. The Bear family makes sure all their pets-Little Lady, Gracie, Swish and their new bird, Keats-look and feel their best for the big day.
- Cuyler, Margery. Guinea Pigs Add Up. 2010.
Mr. Gilbert brings in a guinea pig as a class pet, but it looks so lonely he brings another. Before long, the class is getting an unexpected lesson in addition-and a very full cage.
- Hill, Meggan. Nico & Lola: Kindness Shared Between a Boy and a Dog. 2009.
Young Nico searches for ways to be kind while caring for Aunt Sue's pug dog, Lola.
- Newbery, Linda. Posy! 2009.
Posy the kitten has lots of adventures catching spiders, swiping crayons, tangling yarn and cuddling.
- Richards, Chuck. Critter Sitter. 2008.
When the Mahoney family hires Henry the Critter Sitter to watch their dog, cat, bird, fish, frog and snake, he thinks he is up for the challenge since creature control is his game, but the pets have a different idea.
- Swaim, Jessica. The Hound from the Pound. 2007.
When lonely Miss Mary Lynn MacIntosh decides to adopt Blue, a basset hound from the pound, she gets far more companionship than she ever expected.
- Banks, Kate. Monkeys and Dog Days. 2008.
When Max and Pete get a new dog, they learn that taking care of a pet is not as easy as they thought.
- Capucilli, Alyssa Satin. Biscuit Meets the Class Pet. 2010.
When Nibbles, the new class pet, gets lost during a visit, Biscuit the puppy helps find him.
- Hooks, Gwendolyn. Find the Cat!: a Pet Club story. 2011.
Kayla's cat, Daisy, is missing. Kayla is so worried. She calls her friends, and soon enough the entire Pet Club is on the case.
- Man-Kong, Mary. A Pet Vet. 2010.
Barbie wants to be a pet doctor! Join her as she helps a vet take care of puppies, kittens, horses and other lovable pets.
- Rylant, Cynthia. Annie and Snowball and the Wintry Freeze. 2010.
Annie and her cousin Henry, along with Henry's dog Mudge and Annie's rabbit Snowball, enjoy a sparkling, wintry ice storm.
- Zalben, Jane Breskin. Baby Shower. 2010.
Zoe's desire for a pet, along with her participation in her aunt's baby shower, causes her to have dreams about showers of pets falling from the sky.
- Bruel, Nick. Bad Kitty vs. Uncle Murray: the Uproar at the Front Door. 2010.
Kitty's owners are taking a week off and leaving Kitty and Puppy at home with Uncle Murray. It isn't long before Uncle Murray is driven to near madness by shenanigans of epic proportions.
- Hermes, Patricia. Emma Dilemma, the Nanny, and the Secret Ferret. 2010.
Emma struggles with finding the perfect time to confess to her parents that she brought her pet ferret on vacation to Maine, and trying to save her favorite tree that a new neighbor wants to cut down.
- Hurwitz, Johanna. Amazing Monty. 2010.
First-grader Montgomery Gerald Morris enjoys an exciting year as his class acquires a pair of parakeets as pets, he loses his first tooth and he becomes a big brother.
- Sykes, Julie. Parrot Pandemonium. 2009.
When animal lover Max sets up a pet-sitting business, he finds himself looking after some very unusual pets. Captain Bloom has asked Max to take care of his parrot, Squawk, on the Leaky Dip pirate ship. But when Squawk's gangplank trick goes wrong, scary rival pirate Becky Bones comes after them-and it's up to Max to save the day!
- Don't Lick the Dog: Making Friends with Dogs by Wendy Wahman. 2009. [J 636.7 WAH]
Learn important dog-care tips like how to communicate and play with them.
- Learning to Care for a Cat by Felicia Lowenstein Niven. 2011. [J 636.8 NIV]
Readers will learn how to choose, train and care for a cat.
- Learning to Care for a Dog by Felicia Lowenstein Niven. 2011. [J 636.7 NIV]
Readers will learn how to choose, train and care for a dog.
- Little Lions, Bull Baiters & Hunting Hounds: a History of Dog Breeds by Jeff Crosby. 2008. [J 636.71 CRO]
This dog breed book may help you decide what kind of dog you want to take home.
- My First Bird by Linda Bozzo. 2008. [J 636.68 BOZ]
Get your bird-care questions-like, what do birds eat and how do I care for a bird-answered The book also directs readers to shelters, rescue groups and local veterinarians to find a pet.
- My First Guinea Pig and Other Small Pets by Linda Bozzo. 2008. [J 636.9 BOZ]
Children will find out how to choose and take care of their guinea pigs and other small pets.
- Top 10 Small Mammals for Kids by Ann Graham Gaines. 2009. [J 636.9 GAI]
Rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and other small mammals make great pets. They may all be cute and fuzzy, but each animal is special. This book can help you pick the best pet for you and your family.
revised April 2011