Designated Position Hours20 hours per week
- Sunday (every 3rd): 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Monday: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Either Friday or Saturday each week (based on a rotating schedule) 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Position ProfileWe love superheroes, honeybees and BuzzFeed DIY videos. Why? They help people. If you’re detail-oriented and enjoy helping people, too, we’d like to work with you! As a circulation aide, you’ll be part of a hard-working, fun-loving group that jokes about our unofficial motto: “Teamwork makes the dream work!” Your are just what we need to make sure our patrons get exactly the materials they need as quickly as possible. Our award-winning library has been an important part of the community since its founding in 1803, and we’re proud to combine traditional library services with the innovative. Join us for food and fun as we work together to be the library our patrons deserve!
In a NutshellUnder direct supervision, the Circulation Aide is responsible for ensuring appropriate and efficient distribution of library materials.
The Nitty Gritty
- Receives and shelves materials with accuracy and timeliness
- Checks in and sorts returned materials accurately and efficiently
- Processes reserved items for both incoming and outgoing delivery
- Assists in the shelving/retrieval of items
- Maintains shelves throughout location, including shelf reading, shifting material, merchandising items, and straightening items on shelves
- Prepares location for opening and closing by straightening furniture and shelves, reshelving loose materials, restocking displays, and picking up debris
- Proactively provides customer service by assisting patrons with Public Access Catalog (PAC), copiers, self checkout, printers, and locating or retrieving materials
- Covers service points, as needed
- Processes various reports, as assigned
Required experienceEducation, Training and/or Experience
- Entry level position, no previous experience required
- A minimum age of sixteen (16) years
Required skillsKnowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information and records
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to retain and follow circulation department policies and procedures
- Proficient in the use of the Integrated Library System (ILS)
- Ability to meet circulation department standards for shelving and sorting
- Ability to pass alphanumeric sorting test
- Ability to pass computer skills test