Designated Position Hours37 hours per week
- Sunday (every 3rd): 12:15 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.
- Monday: 1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday or Saturday (50% Fridays and 50% Saturdays based on a six-week rotating schedule): 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
In A NutshellUnder general supervision, the Library Associate assists patrons in locating library materials using resources in various formats, and performs related duties.
The Nitty Gritty
- Proactively provides customer service
- Interviews, researches, and answers questions from patrons
- Recommends materials based on patrons' interests
- Supports Librarians in developing and maintaining the collection, as directed
- Maintains periodical collections, including associated paperwork, tracking claims, routing, filing, labeling, stamping and weeding out-of-date materials, as assigned
- Assists patrons with basic troubleshooting of common software products, operating systems, browsers and other technologies associated with library services (including handheld devices, e-readers, laptops tablets, etc.
- Assists with planning and coordination of library programs and special events, as assigned
- Performs duties of Homebound Service Associate, Homework Help Center Associate, Programming Specialist and Circulation Assistant, as needed
Required experienceEducation, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of one (1) year of customer service experience
Required skillsKnowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information and records
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to arrange items in alphanumeric and/or subject order
- Superior working knowledge of traditional and electronic resources including web sites and databases; excellent online searching skills
- Ability to deliver programs and speak before groups
- Ability to retain and follow circulation policies and procedures
- Ability to pass alphanumeric sorting test
- Ability to pass computer skills test