1040 tax forms with calculator and broken pencil
Free tax assistance available by appointment during tax season


January 6, 2022
Alert! The AARP Tax-Aide service will not be available at the Library in 2022. To find an alternate location, please visit the AARP Tax-Aide Locator.

Need help with your taxes? AARP Tax-Aide counselors will be standing by during tax season to help you prepare and file your state and federal returns. Counselors are volunteers— certified by the IRS to provide free tax preparation services— and trained each year on state and federal tax regulations.

Sign up for a free, 60-minute appointment— there are no age or membership requirements necessary to take advantage of this service.

Please note that AARP Tax Aide volunteers cannot prepare previous year's tax returns or any amended returns.

Make an appointment

Appointments are available each Tuesday from 9am-1:30pm, starting in February and continuing until Tax Day. All appointments are offered at Worthington Park Library, in the Worthington Park Shopping Centre, at the corner of Worthington Galena Road and Park Road.

To make an appointment, all you will need is your name, email address and phone number.

Preparing for your appointment

Counselors will need access to your relevant tax documents. Things to bring to your appointment include:

  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns (highly recommended!)
  • Photo ID— passport, driver's license or other official photo ID
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents OR a Social Security number verification document issued by the Social Security Administration (an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number [ITIN] assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents, if you do not have a Social Security number)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Brokerage statements for sale of stocks, bonds and mutual funds
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers, such as a blank check (if direct deposit of refund is desired)
  • Total paid to daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care statements
  • Form 1098-T for education credits

Recommended for

More like this